Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Peacock Cake!

Oh happy day!  I finally have a camera!  For Christmas my lovely hubby gave me a DSLR camera so that I can start taking awesome photos of my baking adventures.  (He's so sweet, I love him :-)  And guess what!  The USB cable finally came in the mail!  Back to blogging I go!
Anywho, my friend Christina asked if I could make her a gluten free Birthday cake and of course I said yes!  I asked her what some of her favorite things were and she said she liked peacocks, teal, and purple.  And then I remembered that I had pinned a peacock cake a while back on pinterest. (of course, where else would I get inspiration from!)  I based this cake design off of No Ordinary Cake's Peacock Cupcake.

Using my giant cupcake mold, I made a gf chocolate cake and filled it with a coconut filling and frosted with a very light buttercream.  Her family said it tasted like an almond joy!

First I baked a whole bunch of medium and small heart shaped sugar cookies and decorated them with royal icing.



I sculpted the neck and head out of rice krispies and covered it in fondant.  Oh and lesson learned-- do not frost molded rice krispy before applying fondant.  Twas not pretty!  

check out the glitter dust!

The feathers are my favorite.  So much color and dimension!  


brushed glitter onto sugar cookies as well.  what Birthday girl doesn't like sparkle?!

Happy Birthday Christina!  xoxo



Linking up with:



The Pinterest Challenge







Gluten-Free Wednesdays











I'm topsy turvy tuesdays

17 comments:

  1. Very cooool Michelle. Another work of art. Colors are so pretty. Keep up the creativity. Customizing is where it's at...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A gorgeous cake! You're an artist. Those colors are so pretty too. I'd love for you to share this at my linky, Crazy Sweet Tuesday! The linky runs through Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy! Added it to your party! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my GORGEOUS! LOVE IT! You did such a fabulous job! Thanks for sharing at Mrs Foxs Sweet Party! Have a Sweet Week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It was a blast to make! :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, this is really beautiful! I love the design and colors. :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness. Heart cookies as peacock feathers!!! What a fun and super creative cake! Fabulous work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sweet are you making this lovely Gluten free treat and the flavors sound delicious. I agree the cookie feathers are my favorite too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda... it was so much fun to make, hope to make another soon!

      Delete
  7. That is awesome! OMG. I love the tail feathers!

    Now I'm hungry..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous cake, featuring on Thursday at Bacon Time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on being featured today at Mrs Foxs Sweet Party :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear what you have to say!