Thursday, August 9, 2012

Homemade Tortilla Chips


I love me some salt.  And with all this running, I have to make extra efforts to put more salt in my food so I stay hydrated and you won't find me face down on some trail.  Hmm, bad visual there... sorry Mom  and Dad... anyways...

Enter one of my favorite snacks: Tortilla Chips!
A few weeks ago the hubby came back from grocery shopping at Costco and he bought a HUGE pack of white corn tortillas.  I rolled my eyes and said something along the lines of why did you buy that many tortillas?  You know 99% of corn is GMO.  What the heck am I going to make with all of those?  {FYI I always get grumpy when he grocery shops.  That's my job haha}



And so they went into the freezer.
Until I got over my GMO issue and realized our salsa has been lonely in the fridge.  And we've been out of store bought tortilla chips for a week and a half.  What a disgrace!
pre-cooked and ready to go into the oven!
So I decided to make chips with some of those soft tortillas.  
The verdict?  Pretty darn tasty!  And ridiculously easy.  Go make some.  I know you have 100+ tortillas hiding in your freezer.
crispy, crunchy, and ready to be eaten!
Ingredients:
corn tortillas (white, yellow, large, small)
olive oil
sea salt
(paprika, cumin cracked pepper, lime juice - optional)
Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 F  
2.  Brush both sides of tortillas with olive oil (or use a misto).  Make sure tortilla doesn't get too soggy.
3.  Sprinkle with sea salt and any other flavorings you'd like.  Get creative!
4.  Cut in 6 or 8 pieces and place on parchment lined baking sheets.
5.  Bake for 8 minutes, rotate baking sheets, and bake for another 8 minutes.
6.  Let cool and enjoy!
Linking up at these Fabulous Parties:
 Made It By Monday @ Baked in the SouthMade from Scratch Monday @ Living with Food Allergies and Celiac Disease Mangia Mondays @ Delightfully Dowling, Tuesday Time Out @ Reasons to Skip the Housework Tuesday Talent Show @ Chef in TrainingCrazy Sweet Tuesday @ Crazy for Crust, Gluten Free Wednesdays @ The Gluten-Free HomemakerAllergy Free WednesdaysSweet Treats & Swanky Stuff @ Something SwankyAnything Goes Linky @ Bacon Time with the Hungry Hypo 
The Mandatory Mooch

1 comment:

  1. These are great!! Can't wait to try it!! Thanks for linking up to Tasty Thursdays at The Mandatory Mooch. Hope you will link up again this week. The party just went live at http://www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com/2012/08/tasty-thursday-4.html
    Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear what you have to say!