Friday, September 23, 2011

Tomato Pie: A Northerner's Healthy Version of a Southern Meal

   When I first entered blogland, I remember seeing a post on Tomato Pie.  I had never heard of it before.  So I clicked on it and saw what looked to be the most amazing summer dish.  Mmmm, fresh tomatoes cooked to perfection in a buttery pie crust... I just had to try it!

   This southern dish, however, traditionally has a mayonnaise-cheese topping which frankly sounds gross to me!  And wouldn't that just take away the lovely flavor of fresh tomato?!  So I decided to come up with my own healthy version... the way a Northerner (like me) would do it!  Check it out below... isn't is just drool worthy!  :-)

      First I made a gluten free crust.  I followed Annalise Roberts' recipe and it was super easy to do... possibly easier than a regular glutinous crust!  And to top it off, it didn't get soggy from the tomatoes (even a day later).  

   Ingredients
1 cup plus 2 Tbs flour mix (2 parts rice flour, 2/3 part potato             
       starch, 1/3 part tapioca flour)
2 Tbs sweet rice flour
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/4 tsp salt
6 Tbs cold butter
1 egg
2 tsp orange juice 

   Method
1)   Mix dry ingredients together.  Blend cold butter in with pasty cutter until mixture resembles small peas.

2)   Then add egg and o.j. and mix on low speed until it holds shape and is no longer sticky.

3)   Form a ball with the dough and then roll it out between two sheets of wax paper.  Place in greased pie dish, prick bottom of crust, and bake in 375 F preheated oven for 10 minutes.

   Now on to my "own" recipe!   

   While pie crust is partially cooking in oven, drain a whole bunch of tomatoes!  I sprinkled some salt on mine to help quicken the process.

   Layer some chopped onion, garlic, tomatoes, and fresh basil on top of partially cooked pie crust...

   Add even more basil.  Basil is tomato's best friend!

   Sprinkle a ton of fresh grated parmesan cheese!

   Cook in oven for about 25 minutes...

Enjoy!

Ladybird Ln






Allergy-Free Vintage Cookery

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for coming to the party Michelle! Can't wait to try your recipes :)

    Lisa @ Allergy Free Vintage Cookery

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear what you have to say!