Thursday, June 21, 2012

Cannelli Bean Salad with Artichokes and Walnuts

  I have decided that every Thursday is going to be dedicated to sharing easy and healthy snacks, meals, and everything in between {like dessert!}.

  The reason you ask?

  I'd like to help my awesome coolio Dad learn how to cook.  He makes tasty scrambled eggs, and wraps, and... well, that's about it!  So here is my attempt, across the country, to teach him how to cook and prepare meals for him and my Mom.

  Enter: Cannelli Bean Salad.


  This bean salad literally took me 5 minutes to prepare this afternoon.  With all my marathon training (and Blogilates workouts feel the buuurrrn!) I needed something to tide me over before dinner.

  This appetizer/ snack/ side dish is super easy to make and so flavorful.  It's great for hot summer days or days when you just don't feel like cooking.  Just under 5 minutes of prep and you have a high protein dish with a dash of healthy fats and vegetables.


Ingredients
1  can cannelli beans aka white kidney beans (you could sub chickpeas as well)
1/2 red pepper diced (or any kind of bell pepper)
3/4 cup walnuts
1/2 can artichoke hearts cut-up
1 Tbs lemon or lime juice
2 Tbs olive oil
handful fresh basil and/ or cilantro
salt and pepper to taste

Method
  Rinse and drain beans.  Chop your red pepper and artichokes and transfer to bowl.  Add beans, lemon or lime juice, olive oil, walnuts, and herbs.  Season with salt and pepper to your liking!

  Now wasn't that easy?!  This bean salad is so fresh and colorful and packed with all good stuff for your body.  Go make some and keep it always on hand.  Such a great alternative to other snacks out there!

  Good luck on your first "cooking" challenge, Dad!     ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear what you have to say!