Sunday, June 17, 2012

Chocolatey Rocky Road Make-Over

   Everyone loves ice cream.  Especially me.  When I received a good report card in school, my parents didn't give me cash.  Or new clothes.  Oh no.  I got to make a huge ice cream sundae!  Which, in my opinion, is soo much better than money  ;)



  As the years have gone by, I've been realizing more and more that ice cream, err, the dairy, does not settle well with me.  So I've been slowly giving my favorite ice cream flavors a make-over!  I used full-fat coconut milk to replace the dairy and it makes this treat oh so creamy and rich, but it doesn't taste coconutty at all.  Actually you know what?  I think it's even better than the dairy ice cream version! 
  
  This Rocky Road Ice Cream is dairy free, gluten free {obviously!}, refined sugar free, and vegan if you desire to omit the mini marshmallows.


Ingredients:
1 can full-fat coconut milk (14oz)
1/3 cup agave (you can get away with less if you like less sweet treats)
1/3 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped almonds
handful or two of mini marshmallows (optional)

Method:
  Combine all ingredients except for nuts and marshmallows and churn in ice cream maker according to directions.  The last 5 minutes before it's "done" add nuts and marshmallows!  You can either enjoy ice cream right away or freeze for at least 30 minutes to have a harder ice cream.



I'm participating in these parties!



Monday Meals



5 comments:

  1. Oh my, I must make this. Coconut milk? Chocolate? Rocky Road? TO DIE FOR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it IS to die for! I ate 3/4 the whole recipe the night I made it... poor hubby only got about 1/4 of it lol!!

      Delete
  2. Oh, this looks so good! It sounds so simple. We tried making some chocolate ice cream two weekends ago and my son and I about gacked ☺ I'll be giving this one a try this evening! Thanks for sharing in our recipe hop this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. let me know how you like it! I could probably eat it every day...! :)

      Delete

Leave a comment! I'd love to hear what you have to say!